The 8pre USB Audio Interface is a versatile audio interface in the sense that it can be used as a complete USB audio interface with eight preamp inputs, or it can be used as an extension unit that provides an additional eight preamp channels via the onboard ADAT functionality.
The MOTU 8pre has eight combo XLR/TRS jack inputs on the rear, and each has a preamp of its own, providing 24-bit recording at 96kHz. An additional eight inputs can be connected via the ADAT input and output, to provide a total of 16 inputs. This means that the MOTU 8pre can also be used with live digital mixers, giving you the ability to record eight channels from the live digital mixer directly into your DAW. The ADAT technology within the 8pre allows for recording sample rates up to 96kHz.
Included with the MOTU 8pre is the CueMix DSP mixing software which allows for DSP driven digital mixing and monitoring for up to 16 inputs, all without latency. CueMix provides various ways of routing your audio to give you more flexibility, for instance Bounce Back allows you to route one of the four CueMix DSP mixes back to your computer, or Talkback which allows the mix engineer to talk to the musicians via a microphone and also listen to the musicians via Listenback. These are just two of the many features in CueMix DSP.
CueMix DSP also offers some advanced tools like FFT display and Spectrogram ‘waterfall’, X-Y Plot and Phase Analysis, all within intuitive graphical representations. There is also an instrument tuner which will prove useful to many.
As mentioned before, the MOTU 8pre is a versatile USB audio interface which has high-grade preamps and has the ability to receive a further eight inputs via ADAT capability. It can also be used purely for its eight preamp inputs via ADAT, making this a great value USB audio interface.
- USB 2.0 audio interface
- Eight preamp combo XLR/TRS jack inputs
- ADAT capability allowing for eight additional inputs to be used
- ADAT capability also allows for 8pre to be used purely for its eight preamp channels
- ADAT is 24-bit / 96kHz
- MIDI in/out
- ¼” stereo jack outputs
- ¼” stereo headphone jack out
- Front panel metering
- SMPTE time code sync via any analog input
- SMPTE time code generation to any analog output
- Includes CueMix DSP software
- Includes AudioDesk sample-accurate workstation software for Mac
- Includes native 32 & 64-bit drivers for Mac OSX 10.6 or higher and for Windows Vista, 7 or 8
- Rack-mountable at 19” and 1U