The JD-Xa brings together the warmth of an analogue synth with the versatility of a digital in one non-compromise, super-creative instrument. Both the analogue and digital parts can be used side by side, stacked up for a devastating sonic destruction or the analogue filters can be used to shape the digital waveforms to create sounds never heard before.
The JD-Xa features a four part analogue monster that each have two oscillators, along with filter and amp sections and four envelopes. These envelopes all have incredibly fast attack and response times. Two LFO's are also included that have a very smooth coverage from super slow to ultra fast. You can create your sound completely from scratch, or set the JD-Xa up as an eight-oscillator, pure analogue version of the legendary Supersaw waveform. Or you can use the power of PolyStack mode which makes for warm, organic four-note chords that will blow you away. Once you have the sound you want to achieve, you can send it straight to the dry analogue output or route it to the onboard digital effects for further modification.
This separate four-part, 64-voice digital sound engine allows you to play some of the most expressive and natural sounds available anywhere. Blending this with the analogue synth gives you a brand new approach to synthesis. For example, you can route digital sound's through the analogue filters, or use them as modulation sources for the Cross Mod and Ring Mod functions in the analogue section.
The JD-Xa's filters are 100% analogue which gives you warm, smooth sounds that have a very natural response. A classic 4-pole transistor ladder hat has strong characteristics, and a multi-mode filter option for the essential LPF, HPF, and BPF duties. The resonance of the multi-mode filter provides a uniquely aggressive sound character thanks to an all new circuit design. And because these filters are analogue, when you twist the knobs you get a smooth slope without any stepping or unwanted artefacts.
Both the analogue and digital sections are equipped with a versatile and powerful MFX processor. This offers 67 different effect types and high impact processing options like Bit Crusher. This system also covers all the essentials such as reverb, delay, and master EQ plus two TFX processors with 29 effect types each.
The JD-Xa features a comprehensive 16-track pattern sequencer with 8 tracks for internal parts and 8 tracks for external sources, allowing you to build sequences and loops quickly and intuitively. There is also a real time recording mode letting you lay down parts in a familiar linear fashion, or step recording mode to create in the old-school pattern style.
All this power is nothing if you didn't have an easy way to control it all. With this, the interface of the JD-Xa is built around using the full potential of its sound engines. The velocity-sensitive keyboard supports aftertouch, and with plenty of backlit sliders, knobs, and wheel controllers you can easily shape the sound. There's also a huge amount of routing options thanks to a flexible system that lets you route a single mod source to four destinations. The MIDI, USB, and CV/GATE connections allow you to control external modules or DAW plug-ins, this a synth that feels comfortable on stage or in the studio.
- Advanced synthesizer with independent analogue and digital sound engines
- Discrete analogue synth engine (four parts) with 2 x OSC, Filter, Amp, 4 x Env (2 x Pitch, Filter, Amp), and 2 x LFO per voice plus Analogue Dry Out for raw signal output
- Analogue filter section features 4-Pole, transistor-ladder, and multi-mode (LPF/HPF/BPF) filters with supremely smooth, natural response to knob movements
- Plenty of backlit knobs, sliders, and controllers for hands-on sound shaping
- OSC section includes Cross Mod, Ring Mod, and OSC Sync, all of which can be used simultaneously
- LFO rate covers a wide range from ultra-slow to ultra-fast
- Incredibly fast attack envelope time
- Separate digital section built around SuperNATURAL synth engine (four parts, 64 voices) that’s compatible with INTEGRA-7 sound libraries from Roland’s online Axial sound portal
- Digital parts can be routed through the analogue filter section for warm, organic results
- Comprehensive effects with MFX for all parts plus five system effects (Reverb, TFX1, TFX2, Delay, and Master EQ)
- Flexible routing options for highly creative sound design
- Intuitive 16-track pattern sequencer (8 tracks for internal parts, 8 tracks for external parts) for fast creation of songs and loops
- Mic input allows you to modulate synth sounds with your voice and explore classic Vocoder functionality
- Onboard USB, MIDI, and CV/GATE interfaces plus flexible MIDI control functionality make the JD-XA the ideal centerpiece for live performance and music production