Dave Smith Evolver
The Evolver marked Dave’s Smith’s triumphant return to hardware synths and still sets the standard for sheer sonic ferocity in a monosynth. It features a plethora of Dave’s best ideas packed into a monstrously powerful instrument with a sound like no other.
The Evolver’s unique tonality comes from the synergy of its two analog oscillators and two digital oscillators (which feature the waves from the legendary Prophet VS). Classic Curtis analog low-pass filters and real analog VCAs add warmth and girth to the analog section while the digital high-pass filter, tuned feedback, and digital distortion provide sizzle and grit. But what really sets the Evolver apart is the way in which the analog and digital sides of its personality mesh—in a true stereo signal path. Massive doesn’t even begin to describe the sound of the Evolver.
Imagine being able to move effortlessly from thick analog smoothness to crisp digital edge—or anywhere in between—and you begin to get the picture. The LFOs, step sequencer, and three separate delays can all be synced for complex, evolving, rhythmic, time-based effects in true stereo.
It’s a sound designer’s dream that can go from ultra creamy to ultra aggressive with the turn of a knob.
- Monstrous four-oscillator voice architecture
- True stereo signal path with separate Curtis analog low-pass filters in each channel
- Dedicated onboard effects (feedback, delay, distortion, high-pass filter, etc.)
- 16 x 4 step sequencer really brings the Evolver to life with evolving “pseudo-polyphonic” sounds – you won’t believe it’s mono!
- Stereo audio input for audio processing of external stereo or mono signals, enabling the synth to act as a unique stereo effects processor
- Everything (sequencer, LFOs, and delay) syncs perfectly to MIDI.
- Easy-to-navigate matrix-style interface for quick editing and real-time control of 8 parameters simultaneously
- Multiple Evolvers can be daisy-chained for more polyphony.